Looking to have a happy and healthy 2016? Then you may be interested in these 16 easy tips to help you improve your health and well-being. Try a few or all 16!
- Drink more water. Proper hydration is necessary for good health. While our hydration needs can be met by drinking other beverages, drinking water provides a healthy calorie-free and sugar-free option.
- Add 10 minutes of exercise to your day. If you don’t already exercise, aim to get 10 minutes each day. Try walking to start. If you do currently exercise, add 10 extra minutes to your routine.
- Get moving at work. Sedentary behavior has negative consequences on our health. Aim to stand up more often, or take a quick walk or stretch break.
- Go to bed 10 minutes earlier. By the end of the week, you’ll get 70 extra minutes of sleep. If you keep it up all year, you’ll have slept 60 hours more. Imagine how well-rested you’ll feel!
- Commit to one healthy stress-relieving activity per day. Choose an activity you find relaxing, commit to it, and you may quickly notice improvements in your well-being. Find some examples here.
- Pay yourself first. Most people save money after they’re already done spending, but then never do it. Rather than waiting to see what you have left after your monthly expenses, commit to saving first.
- Add an extra serving of fruit or vegetables per day. Each day, find a way to eat one extra serving. You may have more opportunities than you realize!
- Use part of your lunch break to walk. Dedicate at least 5 minutes of your lunch break to walking. Not only will it help you to be active, but it can also help you relieve stress.
- Spend more time with friends and family. This can help you to relieve stress, laugh more and relax—all of which can help increase your well-being.
- Make it a habit to appreciate all you have and the important people in your life. Learn more about gratitude here.
- Save an extra $10 per week. Your financial health can affect your physical and mental health. Increase your financial well-being by saving more. $10 per week is an extra $520 per year!
- Eat breakfast—it truly is the most important meal of the day. Find helpful tips and breakfast ideas here.
- Correct your posture. Your posture affects both your physical and mental health. Work on keeping your back straight, shoulders back and head up, as if you were balancing a book on your head. Avoid slouching!
- Reduce your screen time. Much of our time is spent behind the screens of our computers, phones and tablets, or in front of the television. Spend time doing healthier, more interactive, and physical activities.
- Brush and floss your teeth. Good oral hygiene can promote good general health. Get in the habit of brushing twice and flossing once per day.
- Control your portions. The United States is notorious when it comes to oversized portions and excessive eating. Limiting your portions is necessary for healthy eating and weight management.
For Health Advocate Members
If you’re a Health Advocate member with access to the wellness coaching component of our Wellness Program, connect with a Wellness Coach for help to make 2016 your healthiest year yet!