If you are looking for a quick, healthy, and filling snack, consider trail mix! Monday, August 31st is Trail Mix Day, so to celebrate, we’re sharing some fun recipes you can use to make your very own trail mix! The great thing about making your own is there aren’t any caloric surprises. You are able to control the ingredients and the amount of product you use, which can be helpful if you’re trying to maintain a healthy weight and eat proper portion sizes.
Trail mix is an easy snack to make and bring with you wherever you’re headed. It’s the perfect pick-me-up snack at work and an easy treat to bring along for road trips. Try making one of these fun recipes!
- Basic Homemade Trail Mix– All this recipe entails is combining dried fruits and nuts into a portable mix! If there is something in the list you don’t like, just leave it out or replace it with something you like better! The great thing about these recipes is you don’t have to make them with the exact ingredients they call for. Customize to your liking!
- Crunchy Cereal– Satisfy your sweet tooth with this trail mix that includes a few chocolate chips! The cereal gives the trail mix a nice crunchiness (hence the name!) alongside the smooth and creamy chocolate chips.
- Gorp– In this recipe, the chewiness from the dried fruit mixed with the crunchiness of the almonds and peanuts, alongside the creamy chocolate, makes for a very delightful snack.
- Nuts & Bolts– This recipe has a few more ingredients than the ones listed above, but does a great job of satisfying your sweet and salty cravings! Who would have thought nuts, cereal, cherries, chocolate candies, pretzel twists, and snack crackers would go together so well?
- Fruit & Nut Popcorn Trail Mix– This recipe calls for popcorn, pistachios, and dried cherries. Another super-satisfying afternoon pick-me-up snack!
- Sweet Tooth Mix– It’s similar to the Nuts & Bolts recipe except this one calls for raisins and mini marshmallows. A healthy snack to hold you over until your next meal.
- Crunch-Crunch-Crunch Mix– As you might have expected, this trail mix is deliciously crunchy! It contains two high-fiber cereals blended with pistachios and dried cranberries. Don’t like cranberries? Switch them out for another dried fruit like apricots, cherries, raisins, or apples.
- Young Gourmand Mix– Another low-calorie mix including whole grain cheddar snack crackers, dried apple chips, roasted walnut halves, and oatmeal cereal squares. A tasty mid-morning snack to hold you over until lunch!
- And last but not least, the S’more Please Mix. What better way to end the list than with a S’mores-themed trail mix? For only 95 calories, you can combine air-popped popcorn, golden grahams, mini marshmallows, milk chocolate candies, and raisins for a healthier dessert!
For Health Advocate Members
If you’re a Health Advocate member with access to our Wellness Coaching program, call your coach for more help finding other healthy, delicious recipes you and your family will enjoy!
[…] Homemade trail mix. The best thing about this snack is how customizable it is! Combine ingredients like dried fruits, whole-grain cereal, dark chocolate chips, nuts, seeds, and more. Need recipes? Here are some healthy ones for you to try! […]