Looking to improve your health in 2019? Breaking down your goals into smaller SMART goals can be the difference between aspirations and realizations. SMART goals are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely. Adopting behaviors in this manner helps to create lasting lifestyle changes!
Think about the goals you have for your health and the positive results you hope to achieve in 2019. Integrate some of the suggested SMART goals below that can help you reach those results.
- Pack a healthy lunch for work three days each week.
- Walk for 15 minutes of your lunch break five days each week.
- Designate two evenings each week to be screen-free time.
- Aim to go to bed at a time that allows you to sleep for 8 hours five days per week.
- Add an extra serving of fruits or vegetables every day.
- Drink a glass of water before each meal, three days a week.
- Strive to avoid added sugars in foods two days each week.
- Select 5 days each week to perform at least 30 minutes of exercise.
- Stay ahead of stress by allocating five minutes every day for a stress-relieving activity such as a brisk walk, quick meditation or deep breathing exercises.
- Make one new healthy recipe for dinner every week.
- Aim to get 10,000 steps five days each week.
- Start your day in a healthy way by eating a nutritious breakfast at least three days a week.
- Meditate for 10 minutes before work two days a week.
- Strive to eat a dark leafy green vegetable such as spinach, broccoli, kale, romaine, etc., three days each week.
- Include two days of resistance or strength building exercises each week.
- Use a fitness device or app to track your workouts daily.
- Add one serving of whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa, whole grain bread, oatmeal, etc. three days each week.
- Select one day a week to eat vegetarian.
- Choose two days a week to spend one hour doing something you love such as reading, a hobby, journaling, or any other activity you do for personal enjoyment.
Create your own SMART goals! When setting wellness goals, creating specific goals to achieve over a designated period of time is the best method to successfully achieve lasting lifestyle changes.