One way to stay active is through trying to get as many “steps” in as you can each day. While 10,000 steps has become a mainstay of wellness, your step goal may vary depending on your current activity level, goals for activity and health status. 10,000 steps each day roughly equates to 5 miles walked in a day, 30 minutes of moderate physical activity daily and 3,000 calories burned in a week!
Before you jump right into 10,000 steps, it is important to determine your baseline.
Your baseline can help you figure out how to best get to 10,000 steps and maybe even more!
- Using a fitness app or device, a pedometer or old-fashioned counting, track your steps for three consecutive days.
- Next, take the average of the numbers you calculate.
5,000 + 4,700 + 3,050 = 12,750 steps
12,750 steps ÷ 3 days = 4,250 steps
- Set a reasonable goal to add steps. A good place to start is 150 steps each day for a week.
- After you crush your 150 extra step goal, add another 150 steps each day the following week (300 above baseline) and so on.
Soon enough you’ll be on your way to 10,000 steps!
Try these tips to help you get more steps!
- Opt to park away from the door and walk briskly to your destination–it’ll benefit your legs!
- Take the stairs rather than the escalator or elevator for some extra steps.
- Before you begin shopping, take a lap around the store or mall.
- Get up to relay a message to a coworker rather than send an email.
- Walk around while talking on the phone.
- Take extra trips when unloading your car rather than trying to get as much in one haul as you can.
- Designate a portion of your lunch or breaks to take a quick walk.
- Get your day off to a healthy start by waking up 15 minutes earlier to go for a walk outside before you begin getting ready for the day.
- Bring the whole family outside for an after-dinner walk around the neighborhood.
- Take your dog for an extra walk each day.
- March in place during commercials, while cooking, or waiting in line.
- Walk your child(ren) to the bus stop rather than driving.
- Stroll around your bathroom while brushing your teeth.
For Health Advocate members
If you’re a Health Advocate member with access to the wellness coaching component of our Wellness Program contact us today for more tips to help you stay active.