If you’re looking for a straightforward approach to help you quit smoking, you may be interested in trying the QuitNow! app. This free app is available for both Android and iOS. QuitNow! focuses on the monetary and health benefits of quitting smoking; it calculates how much money you save and estimates the improvement in your health based on your quit date. As you progress in your tobacco-free journey, you’ll earn badges for achievements such as not smoking for ten days, saving $10, and more! Since support is necessary in quitting, this app also provides you with an online community of people who are trying to quit and already have quit to help you along the way.
How it Works
Upon downloading the app, you’ll be asked to complete a brief profile. It asks you how many cigarettes you smoke, how many are in your average pack, the cost per pack, and your quit date. You can easily adjust this information in the settings menu if your quit date changes. Once your information is complete, the app will calculate your statistics and display them on the dashboard for you to easily view. From the dashboard, you can access your achievements (including all your badges), the community, and your health statistics.
The community feature is the most interactive part of the app. If you opt to use this feature, you will have to create a login and password. You can upload a picture of yourself if you want to. The community allows you to connect with former smokers and current quitters for accountability and support. It is a great tool to utilize!
- This is a simple and straightforward app. It is easy to read and see all of your information at once.
- The app provides you with up-to-the-minute statistics based on your progress.
- The community feature is great for support.
- You have the option to “block” people on the community if you have a negative experience.
- There is a paid version that has a flat rate of $4.95 if you’d like to take advantage of enhanced community chat, make your own widget, and remove the ads.
- The app doesn’t provide any tips to help you quit or develop a quit plan.
- The app doesn’t allow you to personally track any of your smoking behaviors. Since it tracks it for you, you may not learn too much about your smoking to help you find healthier substitutes.
- Since the only source of interaction with the app is the community, the app could get boring with long-term use.
If you’re lacking support or would just like some additional help quitting, this app could be a good tool for you. The community feature is the highlight of this app; research indicates the more support you have, the more likely you are to quit and stay quit. This app is probably best for people who have quit before and know what to do to create a quit plan since the app doesn’t include any tools or tips to help you actually quit smoking.
For Health Advocate Members
If you’re a Health Advocate member with access to the wellness coaching component of our program, connect with a Wellness Coach for additional tobacco cessation support. Health Advocate Wellness Coaches have undergone extensive tobacco cessation training to help you quit for good!