One of the best things about summertime is that it’s the season of watermelon. This fruit is a summer favorite—and not only is it delicious, it’s healthy, too! It’s low-calorie, packed with (you guessed it) water, and a great source of vitamin C.
Traditionally, you might be used to eating slices or wedges of watermelon at picnics and barbecues. Go beyond the wedge–watermelon can actually be incorporated into many types of recipes. Check out the list below to get some great ideas of how you can include this juicy fruit in your appetizers, desserts, snacks, and meals.
Appetizers and Salads
- Add cubed watermelon to any of your favorite fruit salad recipe. Need a new idea? Try this Italian Fruit Salad, which also features yummy berries like blueberries and grapes.
- Watermelon and Goat Cheese Salad. This recipe can also be made into a meal by topping it with a protein like cooked shrimp or grilled chicken.
- Watermelon Gazpacho. This chilled soup is the perfect antidote for a hot summer day. It makes a great appetizer—and it’ll help you cool down.
- Tomatillo Watermelon Salad. This fun salad has plenty of Mexican flair! Serve it alongside your favorite healthy taco recipe for a healthy and filling meal.
- Easy Watermelon Salad. If you’re short on time, this salad has only three ingredients and is super simple to prepare.
- Shrimp Goat Cheese Watermelon Salad Stack. This is a fun, fresh take on the traditional Caprese salad.
Meals and Sides
- Grilled pork chops with two-melon salsa. This dinner idea is fruity and flavorful!
- Watermelon rind stir-fry. This Asian-inspired dish stars a part of the watermelon you usually don’t eat—the rind! Cooked its texture is zucchini-like, and it adds a little extra sweetness to the dish.
- Minced pork and watermelon lettuce wraps. The watermelon and lettuce add some fresh flavor to this delicious dinner.
- Grilled watermelon. The grill’s not just for cooking meat! You can grill plenty of fresh fruits and veggies to use as side dishes, like pineapple, zucchini, eggplant, and, of course, watermelon. Here’s how you can grill it.
- P.B. Sandwich. Watermelon and peanut butter aren’t two ingredients you’d think of combining. But they’re the stars of this innovative sandwich recipe!
- Cut watermelon into fun shapes for the kiddos. For example, you could use flower-shaped cookie cutters to make a watermelon bouquet to delight your family. Here’s how to do it. Or, use your kids’ favorite cookie cutters to cut watermelon into other shapes they’ll love!
- Basil-infused watermelon lemonade. This is a tasty and refreshing beverage for a hot summer day.
- Watermelon and Bell Pepper Slush. Want the kids to eat more veggies? Hide ‘em in this yummy summer treat.
- Watermelon Preserves. When you make your preserves with watermelon, the flavor of summer can last all year long! Try them on toast, an English muffin, or your favorite crackers or crispbread.
- Watermelon Fire and Ice Salsa. This salsa is equal parts cool and spicy! Serve it with your favorite tortilla chips. It can also be used as a side dish, taco ingredient, or a topping for grilled chicken or fish.
- Watermelon-Kiwi Pops. Instead of buying store-bought frozen pops, why not make your own? These healthier pops feature tart kiwi and juicy watermelon—they’re a treat the whole family will enjoy.
- Watermelon-Berry Sorbet. Can you believe this healthy dessert is under 100 calories? Here’s how to make it.
- Watermelon fruit bowl. No actual bowl needed—you’ll make it out of the watermelon! This is a fun and festive party centerpiece—and a healthy one, too.
- Watermelon pie. You’ve heard of peach pie, apple pie, cherry pie…but watermelon pie?!? Yes, it’s possible! It’s a traditional Greek recipe, and you can learn how to make it here.
- Watermelon “cake.” No actual cake required for this—the cake is constructed out of watermelon and other fruit! Perfect for anyone who wants a fancy-looking dessert that’s also healthy.
For Health Advocate Members
If you’re a Health Advocate member with access to the Wellness Coaching program, call your coach for more fun ways to incorporate your favorite seasonal fruits into your meals and snacks!