Instead of using salt or fats like butter to add flavor to your dishes, try using fresh herbs and spices instead! They are low-sodium and fat-free alternatives that give your dishes extra flavor. Try adding spices and herbs to your meals to keep your taste buds satisfied!
Are you a newbie when it comes to spices? Browse the spice aisle at your local grocery store and pick a few you’re curious about trying. Or, check out some of our herb and spice suggestions and ways to enjoy them:
- What it tastes like: earthy, sweet, and slightly bitter
- How to use it: Try adding some cinnamon to your oatmeal, top sweet potatoes with a sprinkling of it, or sprinkle some in your coffee.
- What it tastes like: smoky and earthy with a hint of heat
- How to use it: Add it to chili, or bean and rice dishes.
- What it tastes like: savory, sweet, and pungent
- How to use it: Add garlic to sauces, Italian dishes, and soups.
- What it tastes like: sweet, warm, and woody
- How to use it: Add to Asian stir-fry dishes or to a mug of hot tea.
- What it tastes like: cool and refreshing
- How to use it: Add to a fruit salad or drink mint tea.
- What it tastes like: uniquely pungent, highly aromatic, and a mixture of sweet and savory
- How to use it: Add to homemade pizzas or pasta sauces.
- What it tastes like: aromatic, peppery, and woodsy
- How to use it: Add to potato dishes or vegetable omelets, or use it to spice up your roast chicken or turkey.
- What it tastes like: pungent and slightly bitter with an orange – ginger undertone
- How to use it: Add to chicken, seafood, or rice dishes.
If you’re a Health Advocate member with access to the Wellness Coaching program, reach out to your Wellness Coach for more healthy ways to incorporate herbs and spices into your diet.
Have a question for a Health Advocate? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, and your question may be the topic of an upcoming “Ask a Health Advocate” column!
[…] make a great addition to any meal. They provide much more flavor than salt does. We’ve compiled a great list for you here; plus, check out the recipes […]