This week’s workout is Toe-Touch Crunches. Toe-Touch Crunches takes your standard ab crunch and adds in a nice hamstring stretch and isometric hold for your hip flexors. They’re very simple to do and can be worked into any “Ab Day” routine!
Here’s how to do them:
- Start by lying flat on your back, arms at your sides, with your legs straight on the ground. Use a gym mat, or carpet if you’re at home, to make this more comfortable.
- Raise both legs straight up so your body is making an “L” shape.
- Next, raise your arms straight out in front of you so your body is now making a “U” shape.
- Now perform a crunch by reaching forward, bringing only your shoulder blades off the ground, and try to touch your toes.
- Return to the starting position. Congratulations, you just performed one Toe-Touch Crunch! Try doing 2-3 sets of 15-20 crunches.
- For more difficulty, try holding a weight or medicine ball and perform the same motion. If holding both legs up is too difficult, try doing one leg at a time.
- To reduce the risk of neck pain look straight ahead.
- If you feel an abnormal amount of pressure in your back or neck, stop this exercise immediately and consult your doctor.
We hope you’ll try Toe-Touch Crunches over the weekend and then build this exercise into your daily routine Monday through Friday of the coming week.
Want more fitness ideas? If you’re a Health Advocate member with access to the Wellness Coaching program, reach out to your Wellness Coach for more healthy ideas to get—and stay—fit. And remember, talk to your doctor before beginning any new fitness regimen.