Thanksgiving is a joyous holiday, bringing together two of the best things in life—family and good food. Often, families enjoy traditional Thanksgiving dishes like stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and more, many of which were made using special recipes handed down over generations and perfected over time.
But when the day after Thanksgiving rolls around, you may wonder what to do with the leftovers. Check out the links below for ideas about how to transform your leftover Thanksgiving staples into new and healthy meals!
There are many ways to use leftover turkey. You could have it in a sandwich, eat it cold as a snack, or try it in one of these fun recipes:
- Turkey and Squash Soup: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/turkey_squash_soup.html
- Crispy Turkey Tostadas: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/crispy_turkey_tostadas.html
- Mexican Turkey Stew: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mexican-turkey-stew
You can use leftover mashed potatoes as a side dish with your next meal, or incorporate them into one of these hearty meals:
- Potato Leek Soup: http://www.marthastewart.com/332291/potato-leek-soup
- Shepherd’s Pie: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/turkey_leek_shepherds_pie.html
Plain green beans are a versatile veggie to have around! Here are two great recipes your leftover green beans can star in:
- Packet Roasted Balsamic Green Beans and Peppers: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/packet_roasted_balsamic_green_beans_peppers.html
- Warm Green Bean Salad with Toasted Walnuts: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/warm_green_bean_salad_with_toasted_walnuts.html
Stuffing is a Turkey Day favorite—but leftovers can last a couple days after the big meal. Use them in these creative recipes:
- Stuffing Frittata: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robin-miller/stuffing-frittata-recipe.html
- Mashed Potatoes and Stuffing Patties: http://pocketchangegourmet.com/mashed-potato-stuffing-patties-thanksgiving-leftovers/
Your leftover turkey gravy can be used as an essential ingredient in many dishes, like these two:
- Thanksgiving Leftovers Club Sandwich: http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Thanksgiving-Leftovers-Club-Sandwich-505904
- Turkey Soup: http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Turkey-Soup-442769
On Thanksgiving, tart cranberries are typically enjoyed on their own, as cranberry sauce. But the leftover sauce can be useful in a number of other festive, seasonal recipes like these:
- Morning-After Cranberry Sauce Muffins: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2007/11/morningafter-cranberry-sauce-muffins.html
- Cranberry Bars: http://www.scdforlife.com/2012/12/scd-recipe-cranberry-bars.html?showComment=1357189827025#c2989050093753522758
If you’re a Health Advocate member with access to the Wellness Coaching program, reach out to your Wellness Coach for more healthy tips.
Have a question for a Health Advocate? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, and your question may be the topic of an upcoming “Ask a Health Advocate” column!