It’s National Family Caregivers Month, which The National Family Caregivers Association (NFCA) says is a time to thank, support, empower and educate family caregivers. The NFCA hopes that during the month of November, they can increase support of family caregivers, raise awareness of the issues close to the hearts of family caregivers, celebrate the efforts made by family caregivers, and provide them with helpful resources.
NFCA estimates that there are more than 65 million family caregivers in the United States. Every day, they fulfill a vital role on the care team of a loved one–they’re extremely familiar with the loved one’s medication regimen, dietary needs, exercise regimen, and more.
Below, check out some resources available to caregivers. These resources can not only help them care for their loved ones better, but also help caregivers care for themselves, too.
• The NFCA’s Caregiving Resources page. Check out their comprehensive list of resources, including tips and tools, agencies and organizations that can help, and useful publications.
• Motivational and helpful messages to live by, compiled by NFCA. This page offers advice on speaking up for your rights, asking for help, and more.
• “Simple comforts for loved ones in the hospital.” If you are caring for a loved one in the hospital, this article offers some easy, creative ideas to keep the patient comfortable.
• “Top 10 tips for choosing an assisted living facility.” This article gives helpful pointers on how to approach finding the best assisted living home for your loved one.
• “Tips on preventing the abuse of elderly people.” If the loved one you are caring for is elderly, you may want to make sure that nobody is taking advantage of them. This article will help you know what to watch for and when to step in if you believe someone is taking advantage of an elderly loved one.
• “Self-care for the caregiver.” Sometimes caregivers can be so focused on caring for their loved one that they forget to take time to care for themselves. This article focuses on ways that caregivers can ensure they are as healthy, balanced, and happy as possible during caregiving.
• Health Advocate’s Caregiving resources, including publications, checklists, and more.