There are a number of important health observances happening in October. We have compiled a variety of resources so that you have quick, easy access to tips and information to help you get healthier. For some observances, we’re also including helpful information for organizations who want to promote them to their employees!
Important! Now is the time to protect yourself and your family by getting the flu shot. Get more information on flu shots here.
October Health Observances
Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Get answers to commonly asked questions about breast cancer from the National Breast Cancer Foundation
- Get helpful information about breast cancer and breast cancer screening guidelines from the American Cancer Society
- From the Health Advocate blog, get tips in honor of those still fighting breast cancer as well as those who have passed away; also, learn about your risks for breast cancer
Domestic Violence Awareness Month
- From the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, learn what constitutes domestic violence
- From the Health Advocate blog, learn about some of the signs of domestic violence and how to get help
Home Eye Safety Month
- From PreventBlindness.org, get tips and resources for keeping your kids’ eyes healthy
- From the Health Advocate blog, get tips to keep your eyes healthy
For organizations: Prevent Blindness offers a variety of fact sheets that may be helpful to your employees.
National Work and Family Month
- From the Health Advocate blog, visit our Work and Life section to read articles on work/life balance, stress management, and more
Mental Illness Awareness Week: First week in October
- From the National Alliance on Mental Illness, learn more about Mental Illness Awareness Week and access resources for support
- From the Health Advocate blog, here’s how to help reduce stigma and increase support for those dealing with mental illness
National Depression Screening Day: October 7
- From SAMHSA, learn about the different types of depression
- From the Health Advocate blog, get tips to defeat depression
Halloween: October 31
Health Advocate is here with lots of ideas to help you and your family have a fun and healthy Halloween!
- Check out these scary good ideas to avoid Halloween candy temptation
- Be mindful of these safety tips if your family plans to go trick-or-treating
- And here are a few ways to sneak in some exercise on Halloween!
More from the Health Advocate blog
- October 15 is Get Smart About Credit Day. Here’s how to lower your financial stress by establishing good credit.
- October 17 is Clean Your Virtual Desktop Day. Click here for tips on cleaning up your digital desktop as well as your actual desk!
- October 19 is Evaluate Your Life Day. Here’s how you can find out your “why.”
- October 26 is Pumpkin Day. Check out these healthy recipes that include pumpkin.
- October 26 is Make a Difference Day. It’s a great day to do a random act of kindness for someone!