In this healthy bread pudding recipe, whole-wheat bread, ripe bananas, chocolate and toasted peanuts come together for a heavenly dessert.
Makes 12 servings
5 large eggs
3 large egg whites
3½ cups whole milk
¾ cup light brown sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped ripe banana
8 cups day-old whole-wheat bread cubes (1/2 inch)
½ cup chopped salted peanuts, toasted
Active time 20 minutes
Total time 2 hours
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Whisk in milk, brown sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, vanilla and salt until combined. Add banana and stir until incorporated. Add bread and stir until combined. Let stand for 30 minutes, pressing the bread down into the liquid a few times to help it absorb the custard.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a shallow 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Transfer the pudding mixture to the prepared pan. Coat a piece of foil with cooking spray and cover the pan with it, sprayed-side down.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with peanuts and continue baking until puffed and firm to the touch, 25 to 30 minutes more. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
To Make Ahead
Prepare through Step 3, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes before baking.
- Skip the peanuts to make this recipe more allergy-friendly
- People with Celiac disease or gluten sensitivity can swap out the whole-wheat bread to their preference
- To make individual bread puddings instead of one large pan, divide the batter among 12 small oiled individual baking dishes (about 8 ounces each). Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes, uncover, sprinkle with peanuts, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes more.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.