Jewel-like pomegranate seeds star along with bacon, tangy clementines and sweet dates in this mixed green salad recipe. This salad is a great option for fall and winter holidays as pomegranates, clementines and dates are all in season. It is a great palate cleanser to eat after appetizers and before the holiday meal.
Makes 6 servings
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 5 cups torn escarole
- 5 cups torn green-leaf lettuce
- 2 clementines, peeled, halved and sliced
- ⅓ cup chopped pitted dates
- ⅓ cup pomegranate seeds
- 3 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
Active time 25 minutes
Total time 25 minutes
- Combine buttermilk, Parmesan, mayonnaise, vinegar, shallot, salt and pepper in a mini food processor or blender; process until smooth.
- Toss escarole and lettuce with the dressing until evenly coated. Transfer to a serving platter and top with clementines, dates, pomegranate seeds and bacon.
To Make Ahead
Prepare dressing (Step 1), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- If you’d like, you can skip the bacon altogether, or use turkey bacon or a vegan bacon option for a healthier salad
- Serve dressing on the side to prevent any leftovers from getting too soggy
- If you opt to serve the dressing on the side, this is one salad recipe you can easily get away with using a minimal amount of dressing due to the juiciness of the clementines and pomegranate
- Top leftover salad with leftover proteins from holiday meals. For example, this could be a great option for using leftover turkey!
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.