The deep flavors of molasses, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg make these wholesome pumpkin cookies delicious without the addition of butter—and they lend themselves beautifully to the inclusion of whole-wheat flour. They are also the perfect texture for a sandwich cookie—fill them with a slightly sweetened cream cheese frosting.
Makes 36 Servings (3 dozen)
- ⅔ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar or 1/3 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- ¾ cup unseasoned pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup dark molasses
Active Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 3 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg in a large bowl. Whisk eggs, brown sugar (or Splenda), pumpkin, oil and molasses in a second bowl until well combined. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Drop the batter by level tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing the cookies 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies until firm to the touch and lightly golden on top, switching the pans back to front and top to bottom halfway through, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
- Add some additional nutritional benefits by stirring in 1 cup of raisins in step 2 after combining the wet and dry ingredients.
- To make ahead, store cookies in an airtight container, with wax paper between the layers for up to 2 days or freezer for longer storage.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.