We’re in the midst of the holiday season, and winter is coming! You may not be thinking of staying active during this time between the cooler weather and all of the holiday preparation, excitement and festivities. However, it’s important to stay active, even during the most wonderful time of the year! To keep active, we challenge you to do the following activities, one each day for the next 12 days. Good luck!
- Act like a tree. Try the yoga tree pose. Find out how to do it here.
- Take two 5-minute walks today. Take one in the morning before work, and one in the evening. Don’t let the cooler weather get you down! Walk in place inside or around your house.
- Do a 30-second plank. Can’t go the whole 30 second? Break it up into three 10-second planks with 10 seconds in between each.
- Every time you park today, park farther away than you normally do to get more steps. If you take public transportation, get off a stop earlier and walk the rest of the way.
- Do two sets of 5 push-ups. Need to perfect your form? Learn how here.
- Do two sets of 6 squats. Need some guidance? Click here.
- Shake it out. For every hour you spend sitting today, take one minute to stand up and shake your arms and legs.
- Try the boat pose! Click here to learn how. Hold the pose for 8 seconds, 8 times today. If you go for it all in one shot, be sure to rest for 10 seconds between each rep!
- Dance to your favorite song. You’ll get some exercise and feel good doing it!
- Aim to get 10,000 steps today! This will help keep you active all day long.
- March in place during each commercial break during your favorite shows. Do you stream or does your DVR allow you to skip commercials? Then plan to march for 11 minutes during your show.
- Do 12 jumping jacks. Seem too easy? Try doing 12. After you’re done doing 12, do 11; after 11, 10, and so on. You’ll do a total of 78! Take a 10-second break in between each set, if needed.
Remember, it’s always a good idea to check with your doctor prior to starting new exercises.
For Health Advocate members
If you’re a Health Advocate member with access to the wellness coaching component of our Wellness Program, contact a Wellness Coach today to learn more fitness tips!