This week’s workout is Side Planks. Side Planksare a great core exercise for tightening your waistline and strengthening your abdominal and oblique muscle groups. Here’s how to do them:
- Start by lying on your side (left or right side, whichever you prefer) with your legs straight.
- Next, prop yourself up with your forearm so your body forms a diagonal line. Rest your other hand on your hip.
- Tighten your stomachand brace yourself, making sure to keep your body in a straight line. Don’t let that hip touch the ground! Hold this pose for 60 seconds, and then switch sides.
Try doing 2 to 3 sets of 1-minute Side Planks for each side.
- If you can’t hold the position for the full 60 seconds, no problem! Instead, start out at a lower number like 10-15 seconds and add 5 seconds onto your time each time you do a Side Plank!
- Remember to hold the position for an even amount of time for each side; you don’t want to overwork one side of your body.
- If you find this exercise is too difficult, it can be done with bent knees, or try Side Planks up against a wall for added balance.
We hope you’ll try Side Planks over the weekend and then build them into your daily routine Monday through Friday of the coming week.
Want more fitness ideas? If you’re a Health Advocate member with access to the Wellness Coaching program, reach out to your Wellness Coach for more healthy ideas to get—and stay—fit. And remember, talk to your doctor before beginning any new fitness regimen.