This week’s workout focuses on the muscle groups in your legs, abs and lower back. Wall sits are great because they engage different muscle groups, and the only equipment required is a wall! Here’s how to do this exercise:
- Stand up tall with your back flat against the wall and simply bend your knees 90 degrees like you’re sitting on a chair. Hold this position while keeping your back and head flat against the wall staring straight ahead.
- You should feel your muscles in your upper thighs and legs working right away. To engage your abs, tighten your stomach muscles and hold the position as long as you can.
- For additional difficulty, try holding your hands straight out in front of you–this will engage your shoulders and arms as well.
- Consider trying this workout while watching TV at home.
- If you have any pre-existing back or knee conditions, please speak with your doctor before trying this workout.
Want more fitness ideas? If you’re a Health Advocate member with access to the Wellness Coaching program, reach out to your Wellness Coach for more healthy ideas to get—and stay—fit.
Remember, before beginning any new fitness regimen, talk to your doctor to make sure the workout is right for you.