There are a number of important health observances happening this month. We have compiled a variety of resources so that you have quick, easy access to tips and information to help you get healthier. For many observances, we’re also including helpful information for organizations who want to promote them to their employees!
October Health Observances
Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Get answers to commonly asked questions about breast cancer from the National Breast Cancer Foundation
- Get helpful information about breast cancer and breast cancer screening guidelines from the American Cancer Society
- From the Health Advocate blog, get tips in honor of those still fighting breast cancer as well as those who have passed away
For organizations: A helpful toolkit from Healthfinder.gov.
Dental Hygiene Month
- Get age-specific oral health information from the ADHA (click on “Patient Resources”)
- Brush up on your dental care basics, from the Mayo Clinic
- From the Health Advocate blog, learn how to understand your dental insurance coverage
Domestic Violence Awareness Month
- From the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, learn what constitutes domestic violence
- From the Health Advocate blog, learn about the signs of domestic violence and how to get help
For organizations: Get campaign ideas and more from the National Resource Center on Domestic Violence
Home Eye Safety Month
- From PreventBlindness.org, find out your risk of a vision problem, the signs of eye problems, and get lots of tips and resources for keeping your kids’ eyes healthy
- From the Health Advocate blog, get tips to keep your eyes healthy
For organizations: Prevent Blindness offers a variety of fact sheets that may be helpful to your employees.
Mental Illness Awareness Week, October 7-13
- From the National Alliance on Mental Illness, learn more about Mental Illness Awareness Week and access resources for support
- From the Health Advocate blog, here’s how to help reduce stigma and increase support for those dealing with mental illness
Lock Your Meds Day, October 23
- From LockYourMeds.org, take the Lock Your Meds pledge
- From the Health Advocate blog, here’s how to safely dispose of expired or unused medications
More from the Health Advocate blog
- October 15 is Clean Your Virtual Desktop Day. Click here for tips on cleaning up your digital desktop as well as your actual desk!
- October 18 is Get Smart About Credit Day. Here’s how to lower your financial stress by establishing good credit.
- October 19 is Evaluate Your Life Day. Here’s how you can find out your “why.”
- October 26 is Pumpkin Day. Check out these healthy recipes that include pumpkin.
- October 27 is Make a Difference Day. It’s a great day to do a random act of kindness for someone!
- Plus, click here to get lots of tips and resources to help you stay healthy all autumn long!