Chocolate lovers, rejoice! July 7 is Chocolate Day. In honor of this widely recognized comfort food, we bring you a delicious selection of healthier chocolate recipes. Enjoy!
Raw Chocolate Ice Cream Pie – This pie is equally tasty as it is refreshing. It is also dairy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free and vegan!
Chocolate Tofu Mousse – A healthier interpretation of traditional mousse, this recipe boasts half the calories and fat as well as double the fiber.
Flourless Black Bean Brownies – These brownies are lower in calories and full of fiber and protein. You won’t even know you’re eating beans!
Glazed Chocolate-Avocado Cupcakes – Did you know you can bake with avocados? Avocados make a healthy egg and oil substitute while yielding very moist desserts. Try them out in this cupcake recipe.
Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies – The most iconic cookie made healthier with whole grain flour.
Dark Chocolate Marinara Sauce – Chocolate and pasta, who knew? Add a bit of pizzazz to your pasta by melting some dark chocolate into the sauce.
Chili with Chipotle and Chocolate – If you’re getting bored with traditional chili, try this recipe that includes unsweetened chocolate for depth of flavor.
No time to whip up a meal or dessert from scratch? If you’re looking for a chocolate fix in a pinch, you can also try some of these old standbys:
- Dip your favorite fruit in warm chocolate syrup or melted chocolate.
- Look for granola bars that are drizzled in chocolate or have small chocolate chips mixed into the healthier ingredients.
- Drink a glass of chocolate milk. This tasty treat also makes a perfect post-exercise recovery beverage with its carbohydrate-protein ratio.
- Buy a bag of small chocolate candies or chips and snack on the recommended serving size.
- Look for chocolate frozen, regular or Greek yogurt.
For Health Advocate members
Looking for more healthy sweets and treats? If you’re a Health Advocate member with access to our Wellness Coaching program, connect with a Wellness Coach for additional nutrition information.