This week’s WOW: Calf Raises
For this Workout of the Week, we will be focusing on our calf and ankle muscles. Calf raises are a great way to build both strength and mobility in your knees, legs and ankles. Here’s how to try this exercise:
- Find a step with a railing –this could be at your house, the park, or work.
- Stand on the step, facing the stairs, with the pads of your feet resting halfway on the step and your heels hanging off. Make sure to place your hands on a railing for balance and support.
- Next, slowly try to touch your heels to the floor behind you. (Hint: this is also a great way to stretch your calf muscles.)
- Then, raise your body by standing only on the pads of your feet and toes.
- Do this about 20-30 times or until your legs get tired. You should feel healthy tension in your calf muscles. Need a bigger challenge? Try doing multiple sets of about 20-30 calf raises to get a more intense calf workout.
Need a visual guide? Watch this short video demonstrating proper calf raises:
If you have pre-existing knee or ankle problems, please speak to your doctor before trying this workout.
Want more fitness ideas? If you’re a Health Advocate member with access to the Wellness Coaching program, reach out to your Wellness Coach for more healthy ideas to get—and stay—fit.
Remember, before beginning any new fitness regimen, talk to your doctor to make sure the workout is right for you.