Are you interested in meditation, but overwhelmed by the thought of starting? If so, we found an app you may want to check out: Headspace! Headspace is a free app that aims to make “meditation simple.” It is available for both Android and iOS. You can also access their content from the Headspace website.
How it works
Once you download the app, you’ll be asked to create an account. All you’ll need to input is your name, email address and create a password. You’ll automatically start a tour to learn how to use the app. You’ll then watch a video that explains the app.
Headspace has one free section; access to the rest of the app requires a subscription. The free part of the app allows you to learn the basic fundamentals of meditation and mindfulness. You’ll participate in 10 days of 10 minutes of meditation. There are two additional levels that require your subscription, plus three categories that feature a series of meditations to meet health, performance and relationship goals. Additionally, there is an SOS feature should you find yourself in crisis mode and need a meditation to snap out of it.
As you progress through the app, you’ll get to see fun animations, plus earn digital rewards and kudos for completing meditation as well as subscriptions for others. You can track your progress in meditation and even connect with friends.
- Tour of app provides basic introduction to help you navigate app.
- Andy, the narrator, has a soothing voice and makes it easy to meditate. He was actually trained as a Tibetan monk.
- While there is a subscription fee, Headspace does donate some subscriptions to people in need.
- The Take 10 is a thorough introduction to meditation.
- Animations are fun and cute.
- You can set reminders to notify you when it is time to meditate.
- Subscription is required for access to the majority of the app.
- It would be nice if there was more content available for free.
- The free section of the app is a tease, and will probably cause you to want to subscribe to the app.
If you’re looking for an introduction to meditation or just a little boost in your meditation routine, you may be interested in the free part of this app. If you really want to delve deep into meditation, you may be interested in purchasing a subscription to use the full features of the website. Whichever path you choose, you may feel a little more enlightened and enjoy experiencing the benefits of meditation.