This week’s workout is Flutter Kicks. Flutter Kicks are a great lower body exercise for strengthening your glutes, hamstrings, and lower back muscles. Here’s how to do them:
- Start by lying on your back, with your arms at your sides and your legs straight in front of you.
- Next, lift both of your feet about 6-12 inches off the ground. Keeping both legs straight, begin the movement by lifting the left leg higher than the right leg.
- Then, lower the left leg as you lift the right leg. Continue alternating in this manner in rapid succession (as though you are doing flutter kicks in water) until you have reached your desired amount of repetitions for each leg.
- Try doing 30 Flutter Kicksper leg.
- For added difficulty, try touching your chin to your chest to engage your abs.
- Remember to breathe normally as you do this exercise.
- Flutter kicks can also be done on your stomach if you have a workout bench at home.
We hope you’ll try Flutter Kicks over the weekend and then build this exercise into your daily routine Monday through Friday of the coming week. Try adding 10-15 Flutter Kicks to your sets each day!
Want more fitness ideas? If you’re a Health Advocate member with access to the Wellness Coaching program, reach out to your Wellness Coach for more healthy ideas to get—and stay—fit. And remember, talk to your doctor before beginning any new fitness regimen.