September 15 – October 15
Hispanic Heritage Month celebrates the histories, experience and achievements of Hispanic/Latino/Latinx Americans rooted in the heritage of 20 countries.
Hispanic Heritage Month begins on September 15, as this day marks the independence of five Latin American countries: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua. It also encompasses the independence days of Mexico (September 16) and Chile (September 18).
How to celebrate this important month
• Support Hispanic-owned businesses and brands. It is estimated that there are 4.65 million Hispanic-owned businesses in the U.S.—which makes them the fastest-growing segment of U.S. small business!
• Participate in events in your community. Many communities hold events, festivals and other opportunities to celebrate.
• Enjoy a traditional Hispanic American meal or visit a restaurant local to you.
• Get to know the countries that are recognized during this month. Read up on their history, current events and accomplishments.
• Learn about prominent Hispanic Americans. Check out this online book from the Smithsonian Institute: https://learninglab.si.edu/q/ll-c/MakuDQIEBA5UsG2P#r/37991
This month, we celebrate the heritage of:
Health Advocate is committed to embracing diversity, equity and inclusion as we provide personalized support to improve the health and well-being of our members.