Is your least favorite Thanksgiving tradition the moment when your guests migrate from the dining room to the living room to huddle around the television and slowly slip into a tryptophan snooze? If so, consider keeping everyone moving with some fun activities to keep them off the couch and enjoying the day together. Below are some fun and simple ideas:
- Put on a playlist and get cleaning. Putting on some music and asking everyone to help with cleaning up can instantly change the mood in the room. Assigning everyone a task, like clearing plates, taking out the garbage, loading the dishwasher, or putting away leftovers, all while dancing around the house, can be a good way to get everyone moving.
- Play some two-hand touch. Instead of watching football, encourage everyone to go outside and throw around the pigskin. You could also play Frisbee, volleyball or other team games.
- Plan a holiday scavenger hunt. Pre-planning a scavenger hunt around your yard or neighborhood can be a fun way to get your family moving. You could even consider making it a Christmas, Hanukkah or Kwanzaa-themed hunt to get everyone excited about the upcoming holidays!
- Take a post-meal walk. Go walking with the family after dinner. It gets you out of the house and helps you burn calories, too.
- Play inside, too. Instead of parking in front of the TV, invite family members to play a fun, interactive game that gets them on their feet, like charades, Heads Up!, or Pictionary.
- Try a craft. Make something that lasts! Buy and bring some supplies to make holiday ornaments, decorate plant pots, make beaded jewelry, create holiday cards, or any other creative activity. Invite family members of all ages to participate.
- Do something kind for others. Before or after your family’s big meal, consider volunteering at a local shelter or soup kitchen to help make someone else’s holiday a little brighter.
- Early snowfall? If you get a white Thanksgiving, go out and play in the snow, build a snowman, go sledding, or shovel the driveway. Be sure to wear the proper clothing!
There are so many fun ways to stay active on Thanksgiving! We hope you have a happy and safe holiday with your family! If you’re a Health Advocate member with access to the wellness coaching component of our Wellness Program, reach out to your coach for more ways to stay active during the holidays.