There are a number of important health observances happening this month. We have compiled a variety of resources so that you have quick, easy access to tips and information to help you get healthier. We’re also including helpful information for any organizations who want to promote these health observances to their employees!
Information about COVID-19: You can browse all of our COVID-19 blog posts here. Topics include keeping in touch from a distance, why you should start preparing for flu season now, a refresher on COVID-19 safety guidelines, how to maintain preventive care during the pandemic, ways to counter quarantine fatigue, and more.
September Health Observances
Fruits & Veggies More Matters Month
- Visit the Fruits & Veggies More Matters website, which includes a variety of resources such as:
- From the Health Advocate blog, here are some ways you can enjoy produce this fall, tips to include more fruits and veggies in your diet, and the benefits of eating the rainbow of fruits and veggies
National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month
- From the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), learn more about National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, get tips to help your kids achieve and maintain a healthy weight, and find out how much physical activity your kids need to stay healthy
- From the Health Advocate blog, learn how to help your kids get fit with these family-centric physical activity ideas
For organizations: From Healthfinder.gov, click here to access a toolkit with tips and other resources.
National Drug Addiction and Recovery Month
- From the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), click here to find Recovery Month events in your area
- From the Health Advocate blog, here’s how to reduce stigma during National Recovery Month and how to take back control if you’re addicted to alcohol
National Cholesterol Education Month
- From the CDC, find out how often you should get your cholesterol checked—plus, learn more about cholesterol here
- From the National Institutes of Health, a comprehensive guide to lowering your cholesterol with therapeutic lifestyle changes
- From the American Heart Association, learn about the prevention and treatment of high cholesterol
- From the Health Advocate blog, get the basics in Cholesterol 101
For organizations: Click here for access to educational materials about cholesterol from the CDC.
National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month
- From the CDC, click here to learn more about prostate cancer and get a tip sheet that includes questions for you to ask your doctor.
- From the National Institutes of Health, a guide to understanding prostate changes
- From the Prostate Cancer Foundation, get a patient guide to prostate cancer
- From the Health Advocate blog, find out if a prostate cancer screening is right for you
For organizations: From ZERO: The End of Prostate Cancer, check out their resource library that includes educational webinars, videos, and more.
Suicide Prevention Month
- From the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), learn about the warning signs and risk factors of suicide
- From the Health Advocate blog, learn about the myths surrounding suicide
September 29 is World Heart Day.
- From the American Heart Association, how to help prevent heart disease at any age plus diet and exercise recommendations for a healthy heart
- From the Cleveland Clinic, five things to do daily to keep your heart healthy
- From the World Heart Federation, quick tips to help you protect your heart
- From the Health Advocate blog, find out how to get—and stay—heart-healthy