Are you looking for support to help you manage your diabetes? If so, you may be interested in the MySugr app. This free app, available for both Android and iOS, provides you with a comprehensive method to track your daily habits in order to manage your diabetes and maintain your health. As you track your efforts, you’ll earn points to “tame your monster,” symbolizing an effective day of diabetes management.
How it works
After downloading the app, you’ll be asked for your email address and password. Next, you’ll answer a serious of multiple choice questions about your diabetes. These include: what type of diabetes you have, the kind(s) of therapy you use, whether or not you need insulin, and more. Once you’ve answered the questions, you’ll be able to use the app, now specifically customized to your needs.
The app has many components to help you manage your diabetes. You can track your blood glucose measurements, estimate your HbA1c, track your food and exercise, and log your medication/insulin. Each time you make an entry, the app keeps track of your points. The little green molecule image that rolls around on your screen is your monster. As you track, it will change and interact with you showing your efforts to tame it. Additionally, the app has a challenge section where you can participate in activities to earn more points and find extra motivation to keep you going.
- Easy, clear display makes the app visually appealing
- Taming your monster is a great way to motivate yourself and encourage use of the app
- Fun and educational challenges to inspire behavior change
- You can obtain weekly or monthly reports that you can display within the app or export as a PDF to print and take to your doctor
- There is a manual within the app to help you understand how to use it and clarify any parts of the app you may find confusing. You can even print out the manual!
- Make sure you have the sound on your phone turned down when you’re at work, as each time you track and add points your monster will make noises.
- Many of the educational features require you to buy up to the “Pro” version of the app.
- The app automatically gives you a 50-point requirement to tame your monster, which may be difficult for some people. It would be neat if you could set your own goal and build up over time as you improve your habits.
This is a fantastic app for those looking to manage their diabetes. The free version has many features which can help you improve your diabetes management and health. For many people, the buy-up to Pro may be worthwhile to really get a handle on their diabetes. The Pro version is $2.99 per month or $27.99 per year.