Did you know that…
- Former tobacco users have a higher quality of life and lower risk of pneumonia, lung and other cancers, heart attack, stroke, and more
- Tobacco is expensive—quitting will help you save money
- It will help you protect your friends and family from the effects of secondhand smoke
In order to quit successfully, you’ll need to get prepared. The National Cancer Institute recommends taking these five steps before you START quitting:
- Set a quit date.
- Tell family, friends, and coworkers you plan to quit.
- Anticipate and plan for challenges.
- Remove all tobacco products and paraphernalia from your home, car and work.
- Talk to your doctor about getting help to quit.
Make sure you also consider your triggers (the reasons you use tobacco) and plan ways to overcome them. For example, if you always smoke when you have alcoholic beverages, avoid going to the bar with your friends for a little while. If you always use tobacco on your breaks at work, swap your cigarettes for a pack of gum or mints that will keep your mouth occupied. Keep a rotating list of healthier things you can do instead if you feel the urge to use tobacco.
Take action now!
These methods can help you quit tobacco. Which one fits your lifestyle best?
- Cold turkey: Total abstinence from tobacco—the most difficult method.
- Tapering: Slowly weaning from tobacco over time by reducing it in small increments.
- Nicotine replacement therapies: Help alleviate withdrawal symptoms by providing you with the nicotine, without the tobacco.
- Medication: There are prescription medications available that may help you quit tobacco. Ask your doctor about options that may be suitable for you.
Nicotine replacement therapies and tobacco cessation medications are just one part of quitting. You’ll still have to change your behaviors associated with tobacco use to successfully quit and stay quit.
For Health Advocate Members
If you are a Health Advocate member with access to the wellness coaching component of our Wellness Program, you have access to a Coach to help you quit tobacco. Call us today to learn more!